With the winter season is quickly approaching, now is the time to take any and all necessary precautions to prepare your home for the unpredictable weather ahead. Most homeowners will focus on areas of the home that are susceptible to cold air seeping into the house such as windows and doors. Other areas of the house that homeowners focus on are insulating pipes and caulking doorways, but one area that many homeowners fail to pay attention to is the garage door.
For a majority of families, the garage acts as the main point of entrance to the home. Hazardous weather can easily compromise the integrity of your home’s garage door, which is why it is important to invest in a garage door system that can be trusted. LiftMaster garage doors are one of the most trusted brands of professionally installed garage doors and residential garage door openers. Here are tips provided by LiftMaster that can help you keep your home warm and safe during the holiday season.
It is important that your garage door is working properly during the winter. Cold air and snow can cause significant damage to parked cars. The first place to look is the weather stripping around the garage door. Ensure that it’s keeping out cold air and replace any seal that looks damaged or that are missing. Also check and make sure that the garage door opener is working properly. LiftMaster provides a 3 step safety check that looks over major performance standards.
The convenience of having a connected garage system is irreplaceable. A connected garage system allows the homeowner to open, close and operate the garage door from a separately connected device. This can be very useful if you need the ability to access your garage from a remote location, a great example is if you need to open the garage door for someone visiting when you are away from your home or in the event of forgetting to close the garage door.
Winter weather also brings other challenges that’s difficult to plan for such as power outages and electrical issues. LiftMaster provides options for a secondary power source to operate garage door operating systems without having access to main power supply.
Time for Replacement
Operating issues should be expected for older garage door systems, especially during the winter season. Metal components on garage doors can contract during colder weather, leading to other operating issues such as broken springs. A garage door expert should be consulted for an inspection of older garage doors or a full replacement is recommended.
The home garage was designed to have space in your home for storage, parking the family car, or home projects. But because of the design of the garage door, there are safety hazards that the homeowner should be aware of to keep friends and families safe. Here is a list of garage safety tips that you should take into account when conducting any activities or projects in the garage space.
- Garage Door Opening Switch: In the event of having small children spending time in the garage because of arts and craft projects, make sure that the garage door switch is placed out of site and somewhere they are not able to reach.
- Emergency Release: Every garage door has an emergency release switch. Check the owner’s manual to locate where the emergency release switch is and how to operate it.
- Routine Maintenance: Every month, inspect the garage door for any loose wiring, cables, springs or signs of wear. Do not try to repair these components yourself, instead contact a garage door specialist for more information.
- Reversing Mechanism: Monthly check the garage door reversing mechanism and test if it is in proper working order. Test by placing a roll of paper towel at the closing point of the garage door. If the garage door makes contact with the paper towel and does not immediately retract, call a garage door specialist.
- Leaving the Door Partially Open: Do not leave the garage door partially open, it is difficult to determine if the garage door is currently on its way down or retracting back upward. It is also a smart idea to keep the garage door closed for safety issues in fear of home invasion.
As we gear up for more snow this season, there are plenty of ways a home or business can be properly prepared. One area often overlooked for maintenance during the winter time is your garage door. Maintaining your garage door prolongs longevity and will help keep your home safe during the winter.
Here are some helpful tips:
Maintain weather stripping at the bottom of garage door clean this will reduce buildup and eliminate damage from rust hinges. You could also clean the exterior of your garage door with a mixture of household products
Clean garage door windows all sealed windows should be checked for cracks and replaced if necessary
If your garage door is remote controlled be sure to check batteries and have extra batteries to be safe.
Analyze moving parts of your garage door avoid any grease build up
A-1 Fleet Door Services specializes in garage door and overheard door installations and repairs for residents in New Hampshire. Contact us today.
A-1 Fleet Door Services is currently carrying The Natchez Series Fiber Carriage House Garage Doors. Natchez is a sandwich type door with an R-15.07 Urethane core with white steel inside skin. The beaded vertical panel grooves, and the arched top sections set this model apart as distinctly Carriage House. The appearance compliments a broad range of home designs with the additions of high definition molded Recessed Panels. A very accurate reproduction of high end wood doors with all the advantages of precisely molded, long lasting, dent resistant, and virtually maintained free Molded Fiberglass.
For more information contact A-1 Fleet today.
Should you Paint your Garage Door or Replace it?
Your garage door makes up over half of the facade of your home. You door will increase the value and curb appeal of your home. When garage doors get worn down with age many home owners face the decision of fixing it or replacing it. A new coat of paint will freshen the look of your garage door but take into stock how old your door, or garage door opener is, and whether or not it’s time for an update. Just like every other technology, garage doors have changed over the years. Certain safety features are now mandatory on all models. If your garage door is more than 10 years old, it is time for a change. Even if it’s been less than that, consider how well your door works and if anything has broken, dented, or been repaired over the years. If your garage door or garage door opener has needed more than one repair, it may be time to call in professionals to get it looked at.
If your door is in good repair and is relatively new, you can consider painting your garage door to give it a fresh look. If you are interested in some DIY home improvement, here are some tips for painting a steel garage door:
- Clean your door first. Use a soft-bristle brush, a sponge or a sprayer on a low pressure setting. Some people chose to use a solution of low-phosphate (less than 0.5%) detergent with warm water. The ratio should be roughly 1 cup detergent to 5 gallons of water. Be sure you clean and rinse your door thoroughly and let it dry completely.
- Lightly and down scratches or gouges on the surface. If there is any bare metal showing, you should sand that area lightly and paint it with a primer that is suitable to properly protect galvanized steel from the elements to prevent corrosion.Make sure to remove any dust or loose material from the surface with a soft brush or wet cloth.
- Use only high-quality latex paint that’s made for exterior use. Make sure that your paint is thoroughly mixed and apply a uniform coat over the whole door. You should paint the door within 24 hours of prepping your door to prevent any new dirt or material from getting on your door before you paint. Though the sun seems like a great help in drying your door, it can actually cause your door to dry unevenly. To minimize this effects paint your door early in the morning, or whatever time of day that your door is out of the sun.
We highly recommend replacing worn out garage doors and openers. In most cases, painting over it won’t solve the problem. For more information about your options for replacing garage door, or getting repairs or maintenance, contact us at A-1 Fleet Door Service for garage door installation, sales, and service in New Hampshire and Massachusetts. Located in Derry, NH we specialize in customer service to get you the door that meets your style, schedule, and your budget. You deserve the best! Contact us today at 603.553.9797 or email us, firstname.lastname@example.org
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
Keeping your garage door in good condition is important to the value of your garage and your home or business. A secure, well functioning door will increase the security of your home and your family as well as add effortless convenience and access to your garage. When looking for a new installation, we recommend steel garage doors for their low maintenance and their durability. Offered in a variety of styles, even styles to mimic wood finishes in any color. Steel doors will last you a long time if you take good care of them.
Here are some simple maintenance tips on how to extend the longevity of your steel garage door:
Oil the Torsion Springs
These are the springs right above the door on the inside. Use a lightweight motor oil and apply it in a thin line across the top of the springs leaving 2-3 inches on either end. Extension springs do not need oil, so avoid doing that. You should only oil the springs in your garage door once or twice a year.
Apply a lubricant (not grease) to the curved segments of the track
Also referred to as the ‘radius sections’ of the tracks, lubricating the curved segments of tracks will keep wheels and rollers moving smoothly. Avoid using grease – it will have the opposite effect. Grease is like a magnet for dirt and dust which will clog the tracks and get stuck to the moving parts of your garage door. You should only use lubricant every six months.
Wash Your Garage Door
Prevent erosion by washing the outside of your door with soap and water. Because your door is constantly exposed to the elements, over time it is at risk of a build up of corrosive substances that can get into the cracks of your door. Next time you wash your car in the driveway, give your garage door a quick rinse. Washing your door every so often will prevent any potential build up.
Image Source: wikipedia.org
IMPORTANT: If something breaks or malfunctions with your garage door or garage door opener, it can be dangerous to try and fix it yourself. You should always contact a professional.
At A-1 Fleet Door Service we offer scheduled maintenance such as these quick fixes as well as others to keep your residential or commercial garage door in good working shape. We also offer installation and 24 hour repair on all garage doors and openers, whether we installed them or not. It is important to keep your door ‘on track’. Call today to learn more information at 603.553.9797 or email us email@example.com
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]